Updates Writer, Audio/Video and Smart Home
About the Position
Wirecutter is seeking a writer to keep our catalog of audio/video and smart home reviews useful and up-to-date. This writer may also produce original reviews and blog posts.
As an updates writer, you will report directly to the team’s senior editor, making changes to live content owned by this team both proactively and reactively. You will be directly involved in our cyclical planning process, collaborating with writers, editors, and our SEO team to map out and execute sweeps and updates for reviews and other posts, while also monitoring stock issues and other product news that affects our coverage.
Previous product reviewing experience is not required, but you should be passionate about helping people choose the right thing to buy. An interest in technology is a plus. You will work closely with other staff writers and editors on the audio/video and smart home team to gain reporting, testing, and writing experience. You will have opportunities to pitch, plan, test, write reviews and articles, and develop beat expertise.
This position can be done remotely.
- Update reviews with new information like upcoming changes to our recommendations, products that we look forward to testing, and recent or long-term testing notes
- Scan industry news regularly for changes that affect products and advice in your areas of coverage, communicating swift responses to our readers with our editors and social media team
- Be directly involved in our cyclical planning process, collaborating with writers, editors, and SEO strategists to map out and execute on sweeps and updates for reviews and other posts
- Collaborate with copy editors, fact-checkers, photo editors, and producers to move changes through our editorial process
- Systematically check and update existing reviews for internal consistency, flagging dated passages for revision and making corrections where necessary
- Use our customized content management system to edit live reviews, follow processes and stay up to date on best practices
- Help maintain and improve our databases of everything we’ve published, tested, and recommended
- Assist with updates for retail events (i.e., Amazon Prime Day, Black Friday), curated Wirecutter deal events, and other seasonal projects.
- Pitch, write, and rewrite reviews and blog posts in and sometimes outside of your areas of coverage as necessary
- Perform related work as assigned
- Journalistic experience or training desired; other professional experience in writing about products or technology appreciated
- Experience with basic HTML and WordPress, or similar online publishing platforms
- Enthusiasm for product research and testing methods
- Familiarity with other publications that cover consumer technology news and new products
- Self-organized and motivated, with effective communication skills
- Ability to work on deadlines on multiple projects
- Creativity in problem-solving
- Experience working with remote teams and collaborative software appreciated