How does freelance writing work?
Note: These answers are meant to be short / simplified, just to give you a basic idea. In reality, there’s a lot more to cover about these topics.
In short, freelance writing is the practice of writing for money while working on one’s own and not being employed by a company or organization.
Freelance writing jobs require you to produce whatever written text is needed by their clients, either working from home or in a rented office space. Freelance writers may work in journalism, public relations, advertising, social media, technical writing, custom content, or many other fields.
Here are some steps to get started as a freelance writer:
- Hone your writing skills: As a freelance writer, you need to have excellent writing skills. You should be able to write in different styles and formats and adapt to different audiences. It’s like being a chameleon that can change colors to blend in with its surroundings. But instead of colors, you’re changing your writing style. That said, you may also choose to focus on a particular niche instead of being a jack of all trades.
- Create your portfolio: A portfolio is a collection of your best work that showcases your writing skills and style. It’s like a resume, but for writers. You can create a website or social media page that showcases your work and provides information about your services.
- Establish your niche: As a freelance writer, it’s essential to establish your niche or area of expertise. You can specialize in one area, such as travel writing or food blogging. Specialists may find more assignments than generalists because they build a body of knowledge that allows them to work faster, and they get a track record that editors come to know. As stated above, though, you may also want to specialize in multiple fields, as there are pros and cons to each choice.
- Connect with your network: Networking is essential in any industry, and freelance writing is no exception. Reach out to friends and family members who might be interested in hiring a writer or know someone who is. You can also join writing groups on social media platforms such as Facebook or Reddit’s own /r/freelancewriters.
- Pitch your ideas: Pitching is the process of proposing an idea for an article or blog post to an editor. You can pitch ideas to magazines, newspapers, websites, and blogs that publish content related to your niche.
- Negotiate your rates: As a freelance writer, you’ll need to negotiate your rates with clients. Rates may be based on word count, article, project, or retainer fee and you may need to submit an invoice for your work.
You should also refer to Listiller’s curated list of writing jobs to get started as a freelance writer.