Copywriter II – Marketing
As an integral part of the creative process, the Copywriter II works closely with a talented team of Creative Directors and Designers to create engaging concepts that effectively meet client objectives, reflect marketing strategies and align with our brand essence and voice. The Copywriter II pushes the boundaries of creative excellence, ensuring the highest quality creative output across various mediums targeting internal and external audiences.
What You’ll Do
1. Develop breakthrough copy that brings strong ideas to life and is on strategy, on time and on budget across all media channels (digital, print, multimedia, etc.).
2. Collaborate with creative partners to develop clear and compelling conceptual solutions – based on a deep understanding of our products, services and target audience – that drive business success.
3. Participate actively in brainstorming sessions and creative development efforts to drive strong conceptual solutions. As appropriate, works with creative leads to make decisions affecting direction – rejecting some ideas and moving forward with others.
4. Write copy for key strategic campaigns/projects, business presentations, copy decks, brand boards, creative comps and style guides. Deliver it on time and on budget.
5. Contribute to a creative and collaborative team environment.
6. Partner successfully with key stakeholders across all business areas to translate business needs into compelling and effective creative by developing a thorough understanding of stakeholder’s products/services.
7. Shift copywriting approach, as appropriate, for any and all media, including digital, print and multimedia.
8. Ensure copy appeals to the target audience and is aligned with UOPX strategy, brand guidelines and voice while remaining competitively distinctive.
9. Scrutinize the syntax and semantics of own copy. Carefully review own work for grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.
10. Guard against producing offensive and/or deceptive copy that may lead to consumer confusion.
11. Perform other duties as assigned or apparent.
NOTE: The primary accountabilities above are intended to describe the general content and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Incumbents may perform all or most of the primary accountabilities listed above. Specific goals or responsibilities will be documented in the incumbents’ performance objectives as outlined by the incumbents’ immediate supervisor or manager.
Job Supervisory Responsibilities
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English, advertising or a combination of education and creative writing experience.
• Three (3) years of professional experience as a copywriter within an advertising or marketing agency.
• Exceptional writing skills (from long form to headlines).
• Ability to develop creative and original copy that aligns with the UOPX voice. A great story teller with a passion for the creative process.
• Exceptional conceptual and strategic thinker.
• Proven ability to build positive long-standing relationships with clients and staff.
• Strong design sense; able to organize information in a way that’s easy for the reader. Able to communicate vision to a designer. Able to digest complexity and deliver simplicity.
• Solid project-management, organizational and decision-making skills. Able to efficiently handle multiple projects and deadlines.
• Broad intellectual curiosity. A genuine interest in popular culture, trends, technology, science, history and the humanities, etc.
• Business acumen. Someone who will quickly pick up on how our business works.
• Understands how to craft a story. Gets irony and clever wordplay. Can spot corny puns and poor marketing language.
• Experience presenting and selling creative, active involvement in client pitches.
• Understands research and role it plays in the creative process.
• Strong communication skills, verbal and written (master of spelling, grammar, and punctuation)
• Proficient MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).